Saturday, September 30, 2017

Copyright Statement

Today I thought of a defense if I ever have copyright problems in any of my books, which is to say that I am a conscientious objector for copyright law. I mean who can argue with that?   I do worry about things like brand names not wanting free advertising, or not being allowed to freely share a facebook share, or worst of all, accidentally copying entire books by other people because of a mix of photographic memory and dementia. I mean of course I am joking, but I do have weird mental gifts and deficits, and occasional feelings of false deja vu when I write, and I have permanently deleted about twenty poems because of these kinds of fears.  And I can't just go back and reread every book I have ever read to be safe each time I write a poem.  And people say no, you know when you copy someone and you know that you have been a very bad person who pretended that you wrote Les Miserables and Tale of Two Cities. But actually, that is not true, and I am still only at the level where I pretend that I have read the classics, not written them. I really don't always know which Amtrak stations all my trains of thoughts departed from, and even if I did, I would still probably get it mixed up with the train station in the new novel I am working on called Anna Karenina.

No comments:

Post a Comment